Commercial Invoice

If you are sending any items other than documents outside of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, a commercial invoice is required.

Likewise, consignments being imported to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man will also require a commercial invoice (we do not offer a delivery service to the Channel Islands from outside of the UK).

By completing a booking on our website, the information that you enter will be used to create this commercial invoice.

It should be noted that you will need to know the following information:

Description of the item(s) that you are sending.

The value of each individual item in the consignment in GBP.

The HS Code (also known as a commodity code) for each unique item within your consignment.

The country where the item(s) originated or were manufactured.

If you are a VAT registered business you will need to know your VAT number or EORI number.

These rules apply to our DPD, DHL, FedEx, ParcelForce and UPS services.

Failure to provide the correct information may cause undue delay to your deliveries and leave you liable to prosecution and/or heavy fines.

The followings links provide useful information about exporting goods and international harmonisation codes.

HMRC - Notice 143: a guide for international post users

World Customs Organisation - Harmonised System (HS)

Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of the Overland Express customer services team on +44 (0) 20 8977 2777 or Email us at

Our Great Courier Partners

APC Logo
DHL Express Logo
DPD Logo
DHL Economy Logo
FedEx Logo
UPS Express Logo
ParcelForce Logo
UPS Specialist Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. At what value do I need an HS code?
A. HS codes (Harmonised System) are required for any item, other than documents, that is being exported from/to the UK.

Q. How many copies of the commercial invoice are required?
A. Please sign and attach 3 copies of the commercial invoice to your parcel.

Q. You have sent me 3 copies of the commercial invoice, do I attach 1 to each box?
A. All 3 copies must be attached to 1 parcel only.

Q. How do I find the correct HS code?
A. We have a link to the Trade Tariff code look up on our website. We have listed some commonly used HS codes.

Q. I am sending multiple different things within my consignment, do I need a separate code for each one?
A. You will need a separate code for each item that you are sending.

Q. How do I find the Country of origin?
A. The Country of manufacture should usually be on the item.